I loved talking to Merold Westphal and I’m pretty sure all the HBC Deacons and theology nerds across the
inter-webs are gonna dig this conversation coming out of the barrel. Westphal is a long time philosophy prof from Fordham University and has now reached the status of emeritus. Merold is a top notch philosopher and committed evangelical who thinks deep and wrestles faithfully. He publishes regularly and also has an awesome book for a general audience.
In the episode we discuss…
- Heidegger & The Onto-theological Critique
- Growing up a dispensationalist and ending up a Christian philosopher
- Hegel, the social constitution of the self, & the located nature of ‘reason’
- Necessary Conditions for Christian Theism…God is personal
- Pseudo Dionysius, Augustine, Aquinas, Feuerbach & negative theology
- Revelation, the Word of God, and Human Receptivity
- the Rapture
- Rob Bell
- He also introduces us to the ‘Gang of Four’- the Desert Father, the Geneva Calvinists, the American Slaves, and the modern Amish.