Coming at you LIVE from Surly Brewing in Minneapolis, it’s the Homebrewed CultureCast. Get ready to wade into nerdy theological waters.
Right after Christian keynoted at the Voices Conference, he hung out with Dr. Kyle Roberts and Dr. Pamela Ayo Yetunde of the United Theological Seminary of the Twin Cities. Up first, Kyle talks about his work and why he’s dedicated his life to theology, what faith looks like actually in the world, doing public theology, social ethics, Kierkegaard, existentialism and post-modernism, and his new book, A Complicated Pregnancy: Whether Mary was a Virgin and Why it Matters.
- Is post-modernism just a slippery slope where everything, including morality, is relative?
- Was Mary a virgin, and why does it matter?
- How church politics played a role in understanding the virgin birth
- And how our understanding of the incarnation influences whether we emphasize Jesus’ humanity or divinity
Plus, the questions that keep you up at night, dramatic readings of psalm 23, the “biblical” defense of Roy Moore, and what Prince has in common with the virgin birth.
Speaking of Prince, Pamela talks about the Theology of Prince project at United, what it means to be an interfaith Buddhist practitioner, the co-mingling of Buddhism and Christianity, the resistance of some Christians to engage in inter-religious practice, and the intersection of pop culture and faith.
- A story about how someone found their spirituality through Prince
- The disembodiment of our faith and how Prince reconciles sexuality and spirituality
- Was Prince famous before he got wise?
- And about how Prince went door-to-door evangelizing
If you become a patron and help support the podcast at $10/mo you’ll get a signed copy of Christian’s new book, Surviving the Bible. Or you can enter the Surviving the Bible Giveaway by going to the CultureCast Facebook page and signing up for the newsletter. Winners will be announced at the end of November.