You blog, read blogs, think about blogging, or wonder what makes for a good blogger? Here are 5 purely subjective commandments from my head about a good blog post.
- Sexy Title…if your title doesn’t pop then your total eye count won’t either. Convince me to click out of my RSS reader or from facebook to your blog. You can make a title sexy in a variety ways….hyperbolize your spin or tell me I’ll learn something I want to learn or ask a good question or well you get the idea.
- Word Count Matters! If it is less than 300 words then you should post it on facebook or tweet it but DON’T blog it. Consistent wussy posts make me unsubscribe. If it’s over 500 words you should cut it, divide it, get a book deal, or blow my mind…otherwise I am not gonna finish reading it.
- Keep it Speedable. Speedable = Speed+Readable. Please make it easy for me to quickly hear what you want me to hear. There a bunch of ways….short paragraphs, bullet points, numbered thoughts, bold\underlining, short quotes, and maybe a flashing arrow at your thesis statement.
- Own Your Voice. I come to your blog to hear you, so let me. Tell me what you think and say it with strength. If I want to know what a bunch of other people think about something I will google it. Mention\summarize someone else only if necessary. Otherwise convince me, excite me or irritate me with what you think today. The post is dated and you can change your mind tomorrow.
- Remember the Conversation. No blogger is an island… at least not good one. Don’t finish the conversation but join it. Do NOT claim the last word in your post or on a topic. Conversation, even controversy, can be good but being a butt-hole is not. Don’t forget to respond to comments, comment elsewhere, and link to other posts.
- You Tell me….. I want 10 commandments for not sucking @blogging. I will add five more, revise above, and then post the 10 up again later. SO HELP ME OUT!