-can we continue to have a growth based economy? the whole structure si woven together. what will replace it? how can we prepare for it?
-……be not conformed to …….’we need to holistically say be not conformed. we need true metanoia!’
– the church’s response to the end of the roman Empire set up communities that lived a life of radical sharing, an offer of a new way of being in this passing age
– ‘we need to become a leaner, meaner, more mission driven church’
-Why can’t we say why as Christians we are progressive?
-progressive values can endure as a strong force if they emerge out of a religious orientation.
-there is a family, a diverse family, that share a progressive christian vision
-‘recover and learn to speak again with comfort and confidence the historic Christian language, symbols, and spiritual practices.’
-‘I don’t see anything contradictory between highly speculative philosophy and preaching. Good versions of both present a good idea that can transform the hearer.’
-what we really need in our western situation is a philosophy of community, sociality. We need the one to emerge out of the many, co-creating a new social existence over…
– why are so many afraid of being passionate about what they believe in. being passionate isn’t to be equated with being dogmatic.
– theology and spirituality should go together. theology without spirituality is blowing bubbles.
-theology that isn’t practical is not theology
-‘i am not a whiteheadean i am a cobbian’
-what is a ‘passionate progressive protestantism’?
-precisely as a passionate Christian I can listen to the voices of others who are not me, or like me.
-those who have learned to live with less (around the world) resources have more to teach us than any seminary prof. can teach them.
‘Why are progressives so scared to talk about God and a vision of God in the world? I can share your progressive social vision, but tell me it is true to who God really is and the way the real world should really work.’
COX, ‘missio dei’ what is god doing in this crisis, where si god present, what is god doing. the mission of the church is a function of the mission of god……unless we really think God is in and active within the world today what we say means nothing!
‘metaphysics buries its undertakers’ \ the trinity is less a dogma for me, but a philosophical commitement. ‘god is a community and we should be and live in community, with all of god’s creation that turns me on.’, bracken
‘they use to say liberation theology is good for latin americans because they are poor. well we are poor now so maybe it will work here.’
Donna Bowman discussing twitter, ‘I wonder how often we have premature communicaton.’
Liberals are scared of technology, twitter, and any form of communication that isn’t humans talking. I wonder if they think their lectures, books, and such are really communicating. If results have something to do with effectiveness they are blowing smoke. This is why this crappy theology is winning.
Non-tenured people who work don’t live in the same place more than a couple years. New Technology actually helps people keep friendships alive, fresh, and transformative. The fear of technology here is frightening and\or humorous. They act as if their answer will make their own kids and grandkids not use it and live within it.
‘Are we living out now what we want to come in the future?’ awesome question.
‘Idolatry, the degree to which the church is in a babylonian captivity to consumer culture.’
– the church is the social matrix from which theology is done.
-‘i am spiritual but nor religious.’ what does it mean? what does its frequency reveal?
– spirituality, the logic or consistent characteristic of a persons active life measured before ultimate reality.
– theology needs to be inclusive of where theolgoy comes from and what it does, for whom.
-why do our students shed their theology like a coat when it is hot after leaving seminary?
-academic theology will NOT change the church or society. theologians need to go to church and do some confession.
– all good Christian theology is evangelical, theology is reflection on situations under the gospel. says ed farley nails it here.
– if the main act of theology is reading texts then when students leave school and don’t read they cease to be doing theology.
Most asked question to his Priest, ‘does coming back to church mean people from other traditions are going to hell?’
-if Christian theology isn’t addressing this issue, a movement from a felt openness to other traditions to a thought one.
-we need new questions on religious pluralism. how might spiritual practices from other traditions contribute to our understanding?
-why isn’t millions of christians taking the Eucharist a threat to capitalism? because we too have failed to even experience the practices of the church. they have become commodities.
– can we claim to love our neighbor despite the traditon from which they belong?
-challenges the relationship between church and academia as distant. it may be too close in some settings. too often we confuse theology with ‘tradition.’ to learn a tradition, like the reformed tradition, and be able to repeat it is not doing theology.
-theologians and ministers need to move from being gatekeepers to gate openeners.
-what gate opening might look like? 1.it swings both ways. we validate the reality and listen to the reality of people’s live. 2.learn to assist the living theologians in the church, the christians. 3.find a minimum list of core values that keeps people together (ex.low christology) 4. we need to do theology in bars, coffee shops, and with people who make us uncomfortable. (the WHO and the WHERE of theology needs expanded.) 5.ending the sermon\lecture movement of one way street talking.
–Fuller PhD student talks and a third of the room wiggles. OHHH NO he talked about jesus. When ‘Jesus’ freaks Christians I am amused. \ liberals trying to quote scripture and missing it is even more ammusing.
– the tension between institutional self-preservation, which is conservative, and the progressive inclinaiton to change and meet the future. A number of participants are saying their denominations are dead weight on transformation. Ohhh they think they are too.
-ministers minister to messes. the original sin of theologians is they focus on themselves and their polished theology 90% of the time and the place of their ministering students 10% MEEKS
– ‘I don’t want to idolize church. i have trouble going.’
– Theology is and should be integrative. It should bring together the other disciplines and the real practices of the church.
– ‘To do this you have to love it and you have to hate it, but you have to love it more than you hate it.’ It=church, theology, faith, etc.
– ‘What does it mean to theologize to exiles, in exile, and for exile?’
NOW RECORDING ANSWERS TO GOD QUESTONS…..and it is going awesome. To all those who submitted them, we thank you. Soon everyone who wants theological kindlin will.